Given that wifi is so widely available in most places, I don’t usually buy a sim card when I travel. However, this means that if I need to use maps on my phone, I’ve got no chance. While getting lost is fun, eventually you want to find your intended destination. This is one of the best things I learned for travelling so just follow these simple steps and learn how to download offline maps. All you need is wifi and 5 minutes!
- THE BEST MAPS TO USE
- Google Maps: How to download offline maps
- Step 1: Find the area that you want to download a map for and click on the bar at the top. Select ‘Offline areas’.
- Step 2: Choose ‘Custom area’. Zoom in or out depending on the size of the area that you want to cover. If the area is too large, you’ll need to download various custom areas.
- Step 4: Name the offline area and hit save.
- VOILA! Map is downloading and accessible offline.
- MAPS.ME: How to download offline maps
- Step 1: Select the bar in the bottom right hand corner and choose ‘Download maps’.
- Step 2: Type in the area that you want to download a map for. Depending on the size of the map, MAPS.ME will either offer one map for the entire country of divide the area into various smaller maps.
- Step 3: Select the map or maps to download.
- And that’s it!! Are you an offline maps user too? Do you have any other apps that we should know about? Let us know in the comments below!
THE BEST MAPS TO USE
I would literally be lost without my two favourite map apps: Google Maps and MAPS.ME. Offline maps is super helpful in any country – even at home when you’re travelling to areas without phone reception (I’m looking at you, Western Australia). The reason I use both maps is because each has its own benefits and limitations. Google Maps allows me to search landmarks as well as specific addresses but only displays a driving route, not a walking one. MAPS.ME is awesome for displaying all nearby landmarks and both driving and walking routes, but you can’t search for a specific address. So, I just use both because it covers all bases and doesn’t cost me anything.