Originally published on 16 May 2018. Updated pricing on 25 July 2018.
We found it immensely difficult to find current and complete information on the Taba Eilat border crossing before we left. So, we figured we’d be the guinea pigs and figure it out ourselves. We travelled from Israel to Egypt on 4 April 2018 and from Egypt to Israel on 28 April 2018. That means that our information is current as of those dates.
If you have travelled through this border recently and have updated information that differs from our post or you found this was still accurate, please let us know.
- Israel to Egypt through Eilat Taba Border
- 1. How do you get from Eilat to the Eilat Taba border?
- 2. Exit Israel at Eilat border
- 3. Enter Egypt at the Taba border
- 4. The bus from Taba to Sharm El Sheikh
- Total cost of travelling from Eilat to Sharm El Sheikh by public transport
- Egypt to Israel through Taba Eilat Border
Israel to Egypt through Eilat Taba Border
Our suggested schedule for Eilat to Taba if you are taking public transport the entire way:
- 11 am: Depart Eilat station (during daylight savings, you can leave an hour later)
- 12 pm: Arrive at Taba border
- Allow 2 hours for border crossing
- 2 pm: Arrive in Taba. Walk to the bus station.
- 3 pm: Bus from Taba to Dahab or Sharm El Sheikh.
- 7 pm: Arrive in Sharm El Sheikh
1. How do you get from Eilat to the Eilat Taba border?
By bus – the cheapest option
Bus 15 leaves Eilat central station from Platform 1 and its last stop is the Taba border. This bus has 25 other stops to make before the Taba border so, despite the short distance between the station and the border, it will take around 1 hour.
- Sunday – Thursday: 8:10, 8:40, 9:10, 9:40, 10:00, 10:20, 10:40, 11:10, 12:10, 13:10, 14:10, 15:10, 16:10, 17:10, 18:10, 19:10, 20:10 and 21:10.
- Friday: 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00.
- Saturday: 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00.
Cost: 4.20 NIS per person
Time: 1 hour during Passover, so around 30-45 minutes regularly.
By taxi: approx 60 – 70 NIS
If you are going during a holiday season (like Passover) traffic is going to be backed up so keep this in mind for planning. Book via the Gett app.
2. Exit Israel at Eilat border
You will first need to pay an exit tax of 100 NIS per person plus 6 NIS commission. The commission will apply for the entire group so if you are travelling with others, make sure you go to the desk together so that you don’t each pay the 6 NIS commission (every shekel counts, right?)
After that, you will get your exit slip and go to the duty-free store to exit Israel.
Cost: 100 NIS per person plus 6 NIS commission per group.
3. Enter Egypt at the Taba border
Once you’ve exited Israel, you will walk towards the Taba border control. Make sure you complete an arrival slip before lining up to get your passport stamped. The Egypt visa on arrival is not issued at Taba so you will only get a stamp allowing you into the Sinai Peninsula for up to 14 days. If you plan to travel beyond Sharm El Sheikh, please read our post on getting an Egypt visa.
There is an ATM here (if it is working) and a money changer. You will need at least 200 EGP to get you from the border to Dahab or Sharm El Sheikh (see breakdown below). You can either change your money here or at the bus station.
Once you’ve got the stamp, you’ll go through a bag scan and then continue on into Egypt! Welcome!
Note: getting this stamp at Taba is proof that you have been to Israel which will prevent you from travelling to other Arab countries that don’t recognise Israel as a state (eg Iran, Lebanon, Iraq etc).
4. The bus from Taba to Sharm El Sheikh
The border is approximately 1km from the bus station so it’s an easy walk. The local bus leaves from Taba bus station once daily at 3 pm and the cost is 60 EGP (cash only). There are no other buses so make sure you account for this when crossing the border (and if you arrive too early, you’ll be sitting around waiting).
Total cost of travelling from Eilat to Sharm El Sheikh by public transport
- Bus from Eilat station to the border – 4.20 NIS
- Israel exit tax – 106 NIS
- Taba border tariff – 400 EGP
- Bus from Taba to Sharm El Sheikh – 85 EGP
- Taxi from bus station to accommodation in Sharm El Sheikh – 30 EGP
Total: 110.20 NIS + 515 EGP ≈ $60 USD
Egypt to Israel through Taba Eilat Border
1. Sharm El Sheikh or Dahab to the Taba border
The bus leaves Sharm El Sheikh around 10 am daily or from Dahab at 11 am. You can buy a ticket at the station before you leave. You will arrive at Taba station at 1:30 pm.
Cost from Sharm El Sheikh: 85 EGP
Cost from Dahab: 60 EGP
2. Exit Egypt at the Taba border
If you have the Egypt visa (not just the Taba stamp), a 2 EGP departure fee is applicable. When you first enter the gates into the border, just mention to the guard that you have the Egyptian visa and pay the fee. You will receive a small stamp which needs to be placed on your exit card later. Keep this stamp safe.
Get your bags scanned and then walk through to passport control and get an exit card to complete before getting stamped out of Egypt.
Cost if you have the Egyptian visa: 2 EGP
3. Cross the border into Israel
There are various checkpoints and bag checks so this will take a while even if the lines aren’t long. There is no cost for entering Israel for most passport holders. Ensure that you confirm whether or not you need a visa to enter Israel.
4. Bus to Eilat Central Station
Bus number 16 is just outside the border and stops along the beach route before its last stop at the central station.
Cost: 4.20 NIS per person
Total cost of travelling from Sharm El Sheikh to Eilat by public transport:
- Bus from Sharm El Sheikh to Taba: 85 EGP
- Departure fee if applicable: 2 EGP
- Bus from Eilat border to central station: 4.20 NIS
Total: 87 EGP + 4.20 NIS ≈ $7 USD
Let us know if you found this post helpful or if you have any updated information.
Special thanks to one of our readers, Alejandra, for sending through updated pricing as of July 2018!
Heading to Israel or Egypt? Pin this post now.